Thursday, July 28, 2011

RMSC Homeschool Day-Part 1

I cancelled our Friday plans one week during May and instead of 'doing school' at home, we took off to the Roper Mountain Science Center to enjoy their Homeschool Day. I had no idea what to expect because we had never been before, I had never heard of their homeschool day before and I found out about it the day before it was going to happen.



I'm so glad I took a leap of faith and took the kids. They had so many science programs/activites that we weren't able to do everything we wanted. There were so many options that all of the kids were interested. Things moved pretty fast paced and the 'classes' lasted anywhere from 10 min- 1 hour. We were able to have a picnic outside and just enjoy not being stuck in a schoolroom and mom enjoyed a fun day with the kids. We are definitely looking forward to going again!









LUNCH!




Ella and Brett were getting ready to taste some honey straight from a honeybee hive.




Luke was fascinated by the bugs and the bug pictures.




Learning about plants in the rain forest.






Interesting animals in the Rain Forest. My brave little kids held a tarantula!!!! Mommy was no so brave and didn't even want to touch it...yuck!




This was in the dinosaur room- by far the kids favorite and the one that kept them entertained for a very long time....I had to make them leave. They were able to sift through ocean sand to find fossils of shark teeth and other interesting fossils. Then they had to match the fossil to a sheet and determine what it was.




Ella was VERY in to this and took it seriously. She asked the lady that was working in the room several questions, several times. I just sat back and watched them play/learn. I had no idea that this little room at RMSC would provide so much conversation on the way home in the car.




Another shot of the Fossil Dig.



Stay Tuned for Part 2!

No comments: