Saturday, August 20, 2011

All in day's work- my crazy 24 hours

Well, alot has happened since I posted last and I've been so busy that I haven't had time to post lately. All of that has changed now- I have nothing but time on my hands these days- I am now on strict bedrest (more on that in a bit).


Let's flash back 11 weeks, shall we? My sis-in-law and I are moving along nicely with our pregnancies until I go in for an anatomy U/S and find out that our little boy is now a little girl. HUH? They were about 90% sure on the 1st U/S that it was a boy and then they suddenly don't see any little boy parts. Ok, we can handle another girl. I went home in shock and Ella couldn't stop smiling.


The next morning I load the kids up in the car in an attempt to actually get Ella to dance camp on time...WRONG. In my efforts to pull out of the driveway, I feel a horrible bump and know in the pit of my stomach that I had just run over 1 of our dogs. I hop out, and like any emotional pregnant woman, burst into tears as I see and hear our 14 year old chocolate lab behind my back tire. I know she has to get to the vet, but have a hard time heaving her 80 pound body into the back of my car. Then I silently say a prayer and thank God for Crossfit. Silly I know, but I don't think I could've picked her up pregnant without it.


At the vet, I find out that I have severely fractured her pelvis and she is going to have to stay at the vet's offcie for about a week because I can't pick her up and take her outside to potty. What a morning... I start thinking the past 12 hours have been interesting!


I HAD NO IDEA WHAT WAS ABOUT TO HAPPEN NEXT...


After the vet, and finally getting Ella to and from dance camp, we headed home for lunch and Luke's nap. It was around 2 that day when I thought we may lose our house. Our dream home that we spent years building.


Brett went outside to play and came inside to tell me he saw smoke. We had our huge field beside the house planted with wheat at the time and they were combining so I figured he must see dust coming off the combine. I didn't panic...until....I went outside and saw the black/gray smoke myself. I knew it wasn't normal so I ran inside to call Michael (maybe they were burning off the field? I was hoping and praying). In the time it took me to grab the phone and go upstairs to the playroom to get a better view of the field, the smoke had turned into a full fledged FIRE! I'm talking HUGE red and orange flames everywhere. All I could think of was how dry the field was and that it wouldn't even take a minute for the fire to engulf the whole field and destroy all the wheat. Then I realized how close the wheat came to our house and our house could be in jeopardy.


The next 45 minutes were somewhat of a blur. I was calling and texting people like crazy asking for prayers. We had 4 fire departments show up. Michael raced home to help fight the fire. All I could do is sit and watch everything unfold before me. I don't know if I've ever felt more helpless and more like a farmer's wife, lol! We were about to lose this whole crop! I was terrified as I watched Michael run in and out of the fire with the bulldozer. Praying for the fire to stop, praying for God to keep him safe, praying for the fire to stop and for our loss to be small.


The time it took for them to get the fire under control seemed like an eternity, but it was finally contained and died down. No one was hurt- praise God! The miracle of it all...we didn't lose any of our wheat crop. The fire burned where the wheat had already been combined but it stopped just short of the very tall and very dry wheat. (for your city folk that means FLAMABLE!!) It seems a spark from a rock off of the combine is what started this catastrophe...a simple little rock.


Needless to say, it took hours for me to calm down enough and really digest everything that had just happened in the past 24 hours- our baby boy was now a baby girl, I ran over Annie and our field caught on fire. Wow! That's alot to take in. I've also never been more sure that God still performs miracles!


No comments: